Moovit is no stranger to rapid growth, however Moovit’s progress in 2018 has been unlike any in our six-year history. As we approach the holidays, it’s a good time to reflect on all of our achievements.
1. Raised its Series D round of funding of $50M, led by Intel Capital
2. Signed a strategic partnership agreement with Microsoft to provide Moovit’s transit data for Azure Maps
3. Became Official Mobility Partner for more international sporting events: Jakarta Palembang Asian Games, AS Roma, and Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball
4. Hired a VP of Worldwide Sales to ramp up our sales organization worldwide
5. Began licensing Moovit’s suite of MaaS solutions to help cities, governments and transit operators improve urban mobility in their cities
6. Reached half a million local editors who we call Mooviters
7. Won Ford’s Pittsburgh City of Tomorrow Challenge for Safe Shift
8. Expanded Moovit’s service on the app to over 2,700 cities in 86 countries
9. Presented Moovit’s vision for the future of urban mobility at multiple global conferences
10. Hired dozens of people worldwide to bring our total headcount to more than 140
We started the year off strong with our Series D round of fundraising — $50 million led by global powerhouse Intel Capital. The investment was dedicated to supporting Moovit’s exponential growth and the expansion of our sales organization, and to develop our B2B offering. After employing Frank Kopas, Moovit’s VP, Worldwide Sales, Moovit’s sales team has grown by 350% this year.
Moovit started licensing its Mobility as a Service (MaaS) platform, TimePro and MUMA products, accessing and analyzing its own data from what is the world’s largest repository of transit data. Governments, municipalities and transit operators around the world are lining up to learn more about — and use — Moovit’s leading products.
Late in the year we announced a strategic partnership with one of the largest and greatest companies in the world, Microsoft. In 2019, Moovit’s world-leading public transit data will be used in Microsoft’s Azure Maps. We are especially proud to partner with the global powerhouse Microsoft, especially as Moovit remains a lean team of about 140 employees around the world
In 2016, Moovit was the official transit app for the City of Rio de Janeiro during the Olympic Games. It was another in a series of major sports partnerships for Moovit that included the 2014 World Cup, 2015 Copa America and 2016 UEFA Football Championship. We continued the streak in 2018 with other key international sporting events and teams selecting Moovit as their official mobility partner, including AS Roma, the Asian Games and the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Basketball.
Moovit is the official transit app of dozens of cities worldwide. In 2018 we added several more in Ecuador (Manta and Guayaquil), Italy (Terracina and Treviso), Mexico (Aguascalientes), and Spain (Burgos, Granada and Vigo). New partnerships included the Center For Mobility in the U.S. State of Maryland, We Run Rome (marathon), Italy, and Turkcell in Turkey. Another big name choosing Moovit in 2018 — Huawei. And we joined forces with Be My Eyes to make public transit more accessible for blind and low vision people around the world.
Moovit’s executives continue to generate news.
The spirit of Moovit is not only alive in our employees, but also within the extended community of Mooviters, our group of dedicated local experts who help map and maintain Moovit’s public transit data around the world. This month, we hit a monumental level of 500,000 Mooviters, and we couldn’t be more proud of our community that makes Moovit “the Wikipedia of transit.”
The cherry on top came when Moovit was named winner of Ford’s City of Tomorrow challenge, to help third-shift workers in Pittsburgh get to and from work safely using Moovit’s technology. We can’t wait to make the proposal a reality in 2019.
Moovit expanded this year to cover over 2,700 cities across 87 countries, opening service in a new city every 15 hours, and adding one million users every day. Ending the year with 335 million users, we are on track to reach our goal of one billion users by 2021. Our employee growth also was robust, with dozens of new people joining the company in offices in Israel, the U.S., Latin America and Asia.
To all of our users, partners and customers, thank you for supporting Moovit in 2018. We couldn’t me more excited to carry on this amazing journey with you in 2019 and beyond.
Happy holidays and here’s to a happy new year to all!